Deadline: August 27, 2018
This unique fellowship supports outstanding early career researchers whose ground-breaking work has the potential to make a difference in one of the Foundation’s focus areas: Technology and innovation, Strengthening Australia-Asia ties and Enabling positive social change.
The Fellowship aims to free you from the need to apply for multiple sources of funding, allowing you to focus on your research. The Fellowship has been co-created with the Foundation’s university partners to focus on the specific needs of the research Fellows, and covers each early career researcher’s full-time salary plus professional development and global experiences.
Fellowship recipients will be exceptional people, chosen for their intellectual ability, leadership qualities, and commitment to the community. This program offers more than just membership of a network that will help your career. It’s an incredible platform enabling you to join a diverse group of inspiring peers and mentors and providing opportunities for practical support.
- Fellowships are valued at a minimum $400,000 over three years.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- You have been awarded a PhD between September 1, 2012 and September 1, 2015; or have obtained an Eligibility Exemption from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) or equivalent if your PhD was awarded prior to September 1, 2012.
- Your proposed area of research is in a field of research at a participating university with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four digit Field of Research (FOR) rating “well above world standing”;
- You are able to commence your research by June 30, 2019;
- Your proposed research will contribute to the future of Australia in one of the Foundation’s three focus areas (please note: funding requests for the purpose of medical research as defined in the ARC Medical Research Policy available on the Australian Research Council website will not be considered);
- Your proposed research includes international opportunities to develop your leadership skills and global networks, such as; study tours for the purpose of research, attending a short course or conference, an internship or volunteering;
- You are able to supply two letters of reference, one academic reference and one personal reference; and a letter of support from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research);
- You are able to attend the National Assessment Centre held in Sydney on 6/7 December 2018.
Fellowship applicants must demonstrate:
- Academic excellence and achievements to date
- A supportive and high quality research environment
- A desire to be part of and contribute to the Westpac 100 Scholars Network
- A strong sense of connection to Australia and commitment to improving the lives of others
- The attributes of a Westpac Research Fellow
The Westpac Research Fellowship is offered at four leading Australian universities:
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
Your proposed program of study can be in any field of world class standing at one of these universities, and must be relevant to the Foundation’s focus areas.
Click here to apply